Bollywood is the most famous industry globally, holds a special place for every kind of genre in the movie, including a suspicious one, a thriller one, and many more. Movies based on courtroom drama scenes were a very favorite genre during the Golden Era of Hindi cinema.
These films are based on Law, justice, judges, and so on and were so dreamy to some people who have never been to court, and watching such kinds of the film intrigued the audience. Most people don’t like being dragged to court and get involved in all rules and regulations of the government. In contrast, people prefer watching such kinds of courtroom drama films or lawyers in the movie.
Creating a good courtroom trial-based drama movie involves having lots of groundwork, a great script, and, most importantly, logical and critical thinking scenarios. Therefore the technicality is in no way disturbed or altered throughout the movie.
The films based on courtroom drama have to have a quick eye on the procedure and follow the real-life guidelines for courtroom ethics and Law. Yet, our Hindi cinema has accomplished and successfully made few marvels in this genre of films. Below would be a list of some of the best Hindi movies based on courtroom life and lawyers.
Films like Jolly LLB, Pink, Badla, and many more still holds back to their title of being courtroom dramas. Here’s the list of the 15 Best Bollywood courtroom drama movies for the audience’s preference into the political aspects and perspectives:
1. Damini Damini, a 1983 film, was based on a crime thriller genre type. The film was directed by Rajkumar Santoshi and starred the very famous actor Sunny Deol. It had its very famous dialogue “Dhai Kilo Ka Hath” into it. It was based on a prime witness of a crime (rape) committed.
The movie revolves around its title, “Damani,” a woman who struggles to get justice for the rape victim while everyone is against her. Sunny Deol makes the movie into a more real drama and plays a failed advocate at the hands of corrupt lawmakers.
The actors’ persona and punchy lines conquer the audience’s hearts and steal the show entirely as it came into the limelight. This was Sunny’s best acting as he got the Supporting Actor Award at the Filmfare awards in the year 1993 and besides that a National Film Award in the same year.
2. Andha Kanoon A 1983 movie— Andha Kanoon, was based on Indian Law and its manipulations. The movie’s title describes how the film would be, and in Hindi, it means “Blind Law.” The movie was directed by T. Rama Rao and was based on the facets of the Law of failing to bring justice.
It displayed the weakness and loopholes of Indian laws. The film starred many known actors of B-town, like Rajinikanth, Amitabh Bachchan, Amrish Puri, Prem Chopra, Hema Malini, Reena Roy, Danny Denzongpa, Asrani, Pran, Madan Puri, and many others. The South superstar Rajinikanth made his Bollywood debut in this film.
3. Meri Jung A 1985 movie–Meri Jung was among the best courtroom drama action films in Bollywood movies. The film was titled to be the most inspiring of all time as the cinema displays hard work and willpower. The movie was directed by Subhash Ghai and is based on who becomes a lawyer to avenge his father’s death.
The film starred actors Anil Kapoor and Amrish Puri in the lead roles. The lawyer’s role was portrayed by Anil Kapoor, who becomes a victim of corrupt criminal lawyer G.D. Thakral, whose role was played by Amrish Puri. The movie is known for its courtroom sequences with various mysteries and twists, actors like Javed Jaffrey, Nutan, Parikshit Sahni, Meenakshi Sheshadri.
4. Shaurya Shaurya, a 2008 film, was based on the court material process of a soldier named Javed Khan, who was a Muslim soldier in the Indian Army and was in the case of killing his commanding officer. The film featured actor Rahul Bose, who played a significant role as Siddhant Chaudhary, Javed Khan’s defense lawyer, during the whole process.
The film was directed by Samar Khan and was based on the movie “A Few Good Men,” an American movie. The film was primarily based on the investigation that led to the Kashmir conflict in Jammu and Kashmir.
5. Jail A 2009 film—Jail, was based on Hindi prison, courtroom drama. It was directed by Madhur Bhandarkar and starred actor Neil Nitin Mukesh. He played the role of a prison inmate in jail on false charges as he is caught with possession of drugs.
The movie is based on Neils’ character that he faces and the problems while being in jail. It also showcases the life of a prisoner in an Indian prison. The movie features actors Mugdha Godse, Arya Babbar, and Manoj Bajpai in the leading roles.
6. No One Killed Jessica A 2011 movie, “No One Killed Jessica,” was is based on biographical drama genres. The film was directed by Rajkumar Gupta and was based on a highly controversial topic, and the issue which came into the limelight of people was the murder case of Jessica Lal.
It featured actors Rani Mukerji, who played the role of a news reporter named Meera Gaity, and Vidya Balan, who played Jessica’s sister named Sabrina. The movie was based on the murder case trial and the way Jessica’s sister Sabrina fight for her and to get justice for her with the support of Meera, aka Rani Mukerji.
7. OMG- Oh My God! OMG is an exciting movie on our list of the Bollywood best films on courtroom drama. Neeraj Pandey, the director of the movie, made a comedy-drama on a satirical based film. It is being based on the most popular Gujarati stage play titled Kanji Viruddh Kanji.
The movie starred the very known Bollywood actors Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal. Paresh Rawal plays a typical commoner role named Kanji Lalji Mehta, whose shop gets destroyed in an earthquake. Later, the company rejected his insurance claim as a disaster claim doesn’t cover any damage caused by any natural calamity, being based on the “Act of God.”
So afterward, Kanji Lalji decides to file a lawsuit against God. It is then, Akshay Kumar makes an entry as Krishna Vasudev Yadav into the film. The film plays a vital role in the “Act of God.” Other actors were Mithun Chakraborty, Poonam Jhawer, Om Puri, Govind Namdeo, and many others.
8. Jolly LLB A 2013 film—Jolly LLB was based on a Hindi courtroom drama type. It starred actors Boman Irani and Arshad Warsi in the leading roles. The movie was directed by Subhash Kapoor and followed the lifestyle of Jagdish Tyagi named Jolly, who plays the role of a lawyer in the film. It was played by Arshad Warsi, who goes on to fight for a case to help the innocent wage owners get justice.
Later, he also fights against judicial corruption and the monopolistic behavior of the robust community. The film was based on a murder case of Priyadarshini Mattoo and about the hit-and-run case of Sanjeev Nanda back in 1999.
9. Jazbaa Aishwarya Rai Bachchan made her comeback from the film—Jazbaa after taking an extended break from the Bollywood industry. The film was directed by Sanjay Gupta and is based on a crime thriller type of genre.
The movie was produced in the year 2016, which follows the life of Aishwarya, who has played a role of a lawyer, who was forced to defend an unsavory criminal after someone takes her daughter hostage. The courtroom drama film starred Shabana Azmi, Irrfan Khan, Atul Kulkarni, Jackie Shroff in the lead roles.
10. Rustom Rustom is one of the most favorite films in top Bollywood films about court trials. The movie was directed by Tinu Suresh Desai and is based on the documentary of Naval Officer K.M. Nanavati and businessman Prem Ahuja.
The film star Akshay Kumar as Rustom, who confesses that he killed Vikram Makhija, played by Arjan Bajwa, and later defends himself in front of a Jury trying to prove he isn’t guilty. Whether he is successful or not forms the rest of the film.
The film also stars many other popular actors & actresses like Ileana D’Cruz, Esha Gupta, Pawan Malhotra, Parmeet Sethi, Sachin Khedekar, Kumud Mishra, and many others in important roles. The film had a memorable and remarkable spread.
11. Pink Directed by Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury—Pink is a courtroom drama-based movie produced in 2016. The film starred the very famous actors of the B town industry, which were Amitabh Bachchan, Kirti Kulhari, and Taapsee Pannu. The lead role of the Taapsee Pannu is portrayed as a room trial of Miss Arora.
The part of Amitabh Bachchan is represented by a lawyer who has bipolar disorder experiencing frequent mood changes. Taapsee Pannu is defending Amitabh Bachchan in the following roles from his mood swings.
The movie revolves around a murder, the thinking of the society and how people judge and criticize women and the way they dress up, about their lifestyle, actions, and looks. The movie is portrayed highly because of all the actors.
Amitabh Bachchan has played his role in the film so well as being an old lawyer. The movie is all about people and society’s views on different topics, how they judge the woman and how the good and the wrong list of a person’s life exists.
12. Jolly LLB 2 Jolly LLB 2 was released in 2017, a sequel to the 2013 film Jolly LLB. Jolly LLB 2 is another courtroom drama film starring Huma Qureshi and Akshay Kumar in the lead roles. While the actor—Akshay Kumar plays an exceptional lawyer, Annu Kapoor plays the rival lawyer against Akshay Kumar.
The film will also have Saurabh Shukla. Though the movie was not a big success compared to courtroom drama films, still it’s a good watch for the audience. For you to have a gala time for movie unboxing.
13. Mulk Mulk, a 2018 movie, was based on a courtroom drama kind of a film. Directed by Anubhav Sinha, the movie was based on Murad Ali Mohammed’s character, played by Rishi Kapoor and his daughter-in-law.
Both of them try to get justice and prove their innocence after the accusations on their family about having ties with extremists groups when Rishi Kapoor, i.e., Mohammed’s son, joins a terrorist outfit. The story revolves around the outrageous encounter and having connections with the terrorists.
The film features actors Prateik Babbar, Rishi Kapoor, Taapsee Pannu, Manoj Pawar in the lead roles, and many others besides these talented actors.
14. Section 375 Section 375 is of the year 2019. The movie is all about the latest addition to the list of best Hindi films on courtroom trials. The film’s plot revolves around false rape acquisition and is based on section 375 of Indian Law.
It stares Akshaye Khanna, Rahul Bhat, and Richa Chaddha in the lead roles. The film is a very intense drama type and addresses the sensitive topic of False rape accusations. The film’s part is to create a sense of awareness amongst the users as well.
15. Badla Badla, a 2019 movie, was based on thriller-crime films. Directed by Sujoy Ghosh, the film was based on Naina, a married woman with a successful entrepreneur. She gets caught in web accusations when her lover is found dead. Naina then hires a lawyer for her case, works on the crime being done, and ultimately finds answers for her lover’s death.
The film starred well-known actors such as Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu, Tony Luke, Amrita Singh, Tanveer Ghani in the lead roles, and many others. The movie was an iconic one and therefore came into the limelight. Lastly, it was also acknowledged by its audience on high grounds.
So, these were some of the best courtroom drama movies that were liked by the audience!
Edited by Urvashi Gupta