Bollywood is a platform known for having many genres in the films from being a masala film to a very thriller-suspense one. The industry includes many types such as action, comedy, romantic, romcom, political etc. When a movie is made on a political ground it comes into the limelight very quickly because most of the population prefer controversial movies, movies with fights, controversies and all. One needs to think twice before presenting the thought as India is a democratic country.
Political movies are made mostly on the ministers or the rules and regulations that are being carried in India. Some being the very famous and the best, while some being ended banned. As so many movies released every year some of them being based on politics and draw the attention of the audience in a gritty manner. The following is a list of 15 Best Politics movies.
1. Aandhi (1975)- Aandhi was a movie based on former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. In a very romantic and political way, the movie displays many such problems of politics and the politicians. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi as when the movie was released she and the congress party had a problem with the movie. And when she lost election then only the movie had a green signal otherwise the Congress government made it very difficult for the movie to be released. The film displays a relationship between a politician and a plebian and revolves around the politicians and their position at greater levels as political position comes at a great cost, and Suchitra Sen who plays the role of the protagonist is willing to forego her love for her separated husband rather than tarnish her political image.
2. Kissa Kursi Ka (1977)- A 1977 movie Kissa Kursi Ka was a very iconic political movie based on politics which was directed by Amrit Nahata, who himself was a member of Indian Parliament. The film was a satire on the Indian politics of Gandhi‘s family as the film was based on the current PM of that time. It got banned by the government. Overall the movie was based on a comic over the politics, the political system and the politicians.
3. Kalyug (1981)- Kalyug was a 1981 movie which was based on the political aspect which not necessarily revolve around the politics but yet was in a complex way related to that. The movie was directed by the director Shyam Bengals and the film was one of the modern interpretation of Mahabharata, a Hindu epic played out. The film is filled with plots, inevitable wars and intrigues. In the end overall the film questions about the sanctity of one’s moral.
4. Shool (1999)- Shool was a movie based on the troubles of the state Bihar, the politics criminalisation deep developed in the state and many such political-related aspects. The film received a National Film Award in the particular year. It starred actor Manoj Bajpai, who was doing the role of a protagonist, honest police inspector, who got transferred to the most corrupt areas of the state Bihar. And as he faces the corrupt areas of the state a psychopath criminal politician—Bacchu Yadav. The movie thoroughly deals with corruption at a very high level and a very major issue and the upper echelons trickle down the lower levels just like the police.
5. Nayak (2001)- Nayak, a movie in which a one-day Chief Minister changes the life of the people within his time limit. The film starred actor Anil Kapoor, Amrish Puri and Rani Mukherjee in the main roles. Anil Kapoor played the role of a loyal journalist namely Shivaji, who gets a chance to interview the state Chief Minister and by putting allegations on him the chief minister gives him the same position just for one day. The picture revolves around the problem of the common people going through corruption, violence, harassment etc. As a challenge excepted, Shivaji turns the city upside and down for the good and the story revolves around this.
6. Satta (2003)- Satta a 2003 film was based on a young girl who lived in Delhi and gets married to CM Vivek Chauhan. Bollywood actress—Raveena Tandon plays the part of the young girl in the film, who was physically abused by her husband and the family. The woman deals with today’s topic of corruption, alcoholic men, womaniser and all besides that. As the young girl faces a lot of underworld problems with the current policeman, media, politicians and her in-laws, the movie handles both of the aspects of personal life and politics altogether.
7. Yuva (2004)- Yuva a 2004 movie was based on a true incident of the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata which changes the life of 3 young men completely, which includes a student, an IAS officer and a goon. An accident and a murder change the life of them completely and forever. The movie was directed by Mani Ratan and he followed the objective to show and motivate the educated youths to enter into the politics. The movie deals with issues such as interference by political groups, kidnapping, violence, bribery and how it draws a parallel to assembly elections.
8. Sarkar (2005)- Sarkar a 2005 movie starred the Bollywood’s Big B—Amitabh Bachchan, who was playing a lead role in the film. The movie deals with the real meaning of politics and what and how a person can do to take a seat. This film again has a similar plot to that of the movie Godfather but has different aspects in many ways. It deals with the problem of politics and the ways politicians do for their positions and up to what level they can get for their positions.
9. Sarkar Raj (2008)- Sarkar Raj is a movie which deals with the major issues of politics, crime, nepotism, lobbyism and many more of such types of the powerful political issues especially in the states belonging to Maharashtra. The film was inspired by the Godfather and portrayed as the same as that movie. After the success of the previous one that is Sarkar, the film went on a huge international level among the corporation and the corruption who needed the backing of the local politicians for a lobby for the case. The film stars, actor—Abhishek Bachchan, who displayed a great role in the film and the movie become one of the most acknowledge and acclaimed movies of the year.
10. Gulaal (2009)- Gulaal was among one of the most top movies which are based on the student politics being related to recent years. The film was starring expensive actors which were more on the talented side rather than on the same side. The movie was directed by Anurag Kashyap and was based on the topic of secessionist moments. The movies’ every scene consist of the underlining definition and meaning of political. The film was in both of the aspects being a political one and a suspense and thriller one in its genres. Gulaal was amongst those political movies, which was being loved by the audience.
11. Rann (2010)- The movie Rann of 2010 was based on the most overrated topic that is political corruption. The director Ram Gopal Verna displayed the movie in search of no stone and turned manner by showing all its various personas. The movie showcases a nexus between the media and the politics and how the various other motive kept behind by the powerful political figures. The film received very contradicting and conflicting reviews from the critics as the repercussions that go to elections and the Parliamentary proceedings legislative decisions were all against it.
12. Raajneeti (2010)- Raajneeti was the political thrillers of the Bollywood industry, picking a lot of fights, conflicts, controversial like Mahabharat in between and it was as same as like the Godfather movie. The talented actors have been starred in the movie. A cast that was talented as the movie was honoured with a lot of awards and conquered the hearts of its audience. The movie had Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Arjun Rampal and many co-stars besides. Raajneeti was been directed by Prakash Das and was one of the finest movies of 2010. It deals with the personal and political life of the politicians and basically deals more with the youth today and also with the personal life and politics.
13. Peepli Live (2010)- Peepli live was a 2010 movie which was based on the politicians of India and politics. The main agenda of the film was comic particularly based on the comic satire on the farmer suicide in India. The story is based on two of the farmers who starts investigating about the governments and the funding towards the farmer’s families and further committing suicide in the other plots because of the Government. The suicide of one of the farmer becomes the most discussed topic in the film and it also becomes the major problem for the local political parties. All in one the movie is based on all the tricks the political parties do for their reputation, their name and their seats or positions. The overpowering nature of the parties has been shown in the film.
14. Shorgul (2016)- Shorgul is a 2016 drama plus thriller based movie which was based on a political aspect of today’s time. The movie is on the two sides one being political and one being the personal life of the politicians themselves. The film is directed by Jitendra Tiwari and Pranav Singh and starring actors Jimmy Sheirgill, Suha Gezen, Ashutosh Rana, Hiten Tejwani, Eijaz Khan and many such talented actors besides, shows a Hindi language political thriller film which displays the set against the backdrop of Muzaffarnagar riots held in 2013.
15. Thackeray (2019)- Thackeray a 2019 drama was based on a political leader as the name of the movie is of a chief Minister Balasaheb Thackeray who has a personality in the birth of the Shiv Sena and becomes the most influential political leader in Maharashtra. He is a cartoonist with a no-nonsense personality. The film starred actors Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Amrita Rao, Prakash Belawadi and many more. The movie revolves around the biography of Thackeray. It is written and directed by Abhijit Panse and in short, the film revolves around the Maharashtra chief Minister Balasaheb Thackeray.
These all were the very famous political movies which won the hearts of the people and were presented in such a way that the political parties came into the limelight and in the eyes of the people!