The Bollywood industry is a one filled with the powerhouse of talent whether it is singing or dancing or acting, it’s every field has a major and huge role in the hearts of its audience. In this Indian cinema, many of the popular and talented artists have marked their presence in the hearts of its audience as being remarkable and memorable. Among all the famous artist there is a field for singing as well. Singing contains many genres whether it is from pop music, Bollywood music or classical music, it has many variations. It could also be based on romance, emotional and all.
Singing always makes a mark when it comes to the legendary and talented one’s because as they have worked brilliantly in this field and has earned a very big status of a legend. The older music is eternal and even the latest becomes big hits among these generations. Because music when hits a person hits deep inside our souls. Music is all about shifting our moods to be good and calm and it is also an inseparable part of our lives.
Here is the list of some of the legends who have conquered the hearts of India through their singing talent and are amongst the top Best Indian Singers in Bollywood all time.
1. Kishore Kumar- Kishore Kumar one of the legendary singers’ in the music industry was one of the pre-eminent playback singers. His huge contribution to Bollywood has been immensely significant. The singer has been awarded many Filmfare awards and various other accolades. Abhas Kumar Ganguly aka Kishore Kumar has been the most skilled and talented singers’ and personalities of the B-town. Besides being a singer, Kishore was also a writer, a very fine actor and a director. His debut was with the film “Ziddi” in 1948 where he sang his first songs’ for the film industry. Currently, he has sung 2500 songs, which are globally loved by his fans and the audiences of every generation i.e. the age group. His some of the super hits include “Roop tera mastana” from the movie “Aradhana” (1970), “Chingari koi bhadke” from the movie “Amar prem” in 1972, “Chookar mere man ko” from the film “Yaarana” in 1981, records some of his many remarkable and memorable songs.
2. Pankaj Udhas- A very well-known legend Pankaj Udhas with his ethereal and unique voice which creates a very mesmerising and which reaches deep down our souls is his voice. Besides being a talented singer, he was also a stage performer. He started his singing career in the Bollywood industry and debuted with the film “Naam”. After this movie, he has released 40 albums of his songs and has also given is the voice in the various Hindi songs such as “Mahiya Teri Kasam” from the very famous film “Ghayal”. Pankaj Udhas has successfully carved a remarkable and memorable niche for himself. Some of his songs include “Chandi Jaisa Rang Hai Tera” from the film “The legend forever”, “Na Kajare Ki Dhaar” from the movie “Mohra”, “Jeeye To Jeeye Kaise” from “Saajan”, “Chitthi Aayi Hai” from “Naam”, “Aur Aahista Kijiye Baatein” from “Stolen Moments” and many more.
3. Mukesh Chand- Mukesh Chand is a very legendary and well-known singer of the Bollywood industry. He sings in emotional and romantic genres in Hindi movies. The singer has his way of a unique style of singing and because of this he has won many hearts and gained a lot of popularity as well as the limelight in his era. He has also won many awards one of them include of national film award for a Best male playback singer. Some of his very popular songs include “Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaye”, “Jeena Yahan Marna Yahan”, “Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein”, “Dum Dum Diga Diga”, and many more.
4. Mohammed Rafi- One of the most regarded, talented and greatest Bollywood singer—Mohammed Rafi has been rewarded and renowned for the being most versatile singer in the industry. Rafi has immensely given his whole career into the singing for the film industry and has sung a total of 4000 songs for B-town. The singer has been rewarded for his playback singing with about six Filmfare awards. He debuted in the mids of 1940s with the films “Pehla Aap” in 1944 and “Gaon ki Gori” in 1945. Rafi has also worked with many such fine music composers such as S.D. Burman, O.P.Nayyar, R.D.Burman, Naushad, Shankar Jaikishen. His super hits include from the film “Chaudhavin Ka Chand” in 1960— “Chaudhavin ka Chand”, “Teri pyaari pyaari surat” in 1961 from the film “Sasural”, “Kya Hua Tera Vada” in 1977 from the movie “Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahi” and many other.
5. Manna Dey- One of the most legendary and celebrated singers of the nation who hailed from Kolkata is Manna Dey. The singer has been awarded many renowned titles in which one of them include Padma Bhushan in the year 2005 and the other one Padma Shri in 1971. Besides these, he also received the award Dadasaheb Phalke in the year 2007. Manna Dey has also sung many songs in various regional languages, also most commonly Bengali. He is super hits and remarkable songs include “Tu Pyaar Ka Saagar Hai”, “Tum bin Jeevan”, “Laga Chunari Mein Daag” and many others besides these.
6. Asha Bhosle- Asha Bhosle is one of the few greatest singers of all times whose contribution to the Bollywood industry has been monumental. She started her singing career in the year 1950s. The film which gave Asha a very known recognition as a playback singer was in “Naya Daur” which was directed by BR Chopra in 1957. The singer has won many Filmfare awards and has worked with many such music composers of the Hindi cinema including R.D. Burman, S.D. Burman, Kalyanji Anandji, O.P. Nayyar, Jatin Lalit, A.R. Rahman and many others. Some of her superb work and many universally acclaimed songs includes “Chura Liya hai tumne jo Dil ko” from the movie “Yaadon ki baarat” in the year 1973, “Piya tu ab toh Aaja” from the film “Caravan” in 1971 and “Do lafzon ki hai dil ki Kahani” from the movie “The great gambler” in the year 1979.
7. Hariharan- Hariharan is a well-known extremely talented singer who has contributed and dedicated his full career in the Bollywood as well as Tollywood industry. He is also known for his Ghazal singing as he has a unique blend of Bollywood style, Classical as well as Ghazal, which was is appreciated the most by his audience. He has also been honoured with and received the Padma Shri and also the National award for his singing. Hariharan collaborations with AR Rahman have created such a beautiful piece of work which has been loved by the audience and had created magical songs within. Few of his beautiful as well as melodious songs include “Nahin Saamne”, “Tu Hi Re”, “Jhonka Hawa Ka”, “Tere Bina Zindagi Se”, “Bahon Ke Darmiyan”, and many more.
8. Lata Mangeshkar- Lata Mangeshkar is a very well known singer whose called the Nightingale of India, as she is one of the greatest and most prominent who has been highly respected singers of the Bollywood industry. She has won numerous awards and many Filmfare awards for her playback singing and also two types of special Filmfare awards. She debuted her career in the mid-1940s in “Aap ki Seva Mein”, a movie of 1946 and also “Badi Maa”, a film of 1945. Her singing career has completed over seven decades and she has also collaborated with many such known music composers including R.D. Burman, Laxmikant Pyarelal, S.D. Burman, Jatin Lalit, Naushad and many others. His most remarkable songs include “Aaja re Pardesi” from the movie “Madhumati” in 1959 and “Lag Jaa Gale” from the film “Woh Kaun Thi” in 1964. These were some of her many memorable remarkable and eternal songs.
9. Jagjit Singh- Jagjit Singh, a very well known legendary singer who is widely known and acclaimed for his Ghazal singing was a composer as well as a playback artist of the Hindi cinema. The person behind, making ghazals very famous in the nation and even globally is him. Many awards have been honoured to him and he has received Padma Bhushan in the year 2003 and Sahitya Academy award in the year 1998. There has been a stamp in the nation in his honour. Many songs have been composed and sung by him for many Bollywood films like “Saath Saath”, “Arth” and many more. Jagjit Singh has also released various albums consisting of his beautiful sung songs. His very famous songs include “Chitthi Na Koi Sandesh”, “Hosh Walon Ko”, “Phir Pukara Hai”, “Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar”, and many more.
10. Kumar Sanu- Kumar Sanu is one of the most legendary and acknowledged playback singers of his time i.e. in the 1990s. The singer began his career in the late 1980s by his original name Kedarnath Bhattacharya and later he changed it to Kumar Sanu. His singing was much much influence by the legend singer Kishore Kumar. Five Filmfare awards have been won by him which also created a record for him and his success. Some of his super hits include “Yeh kaali kaali ankhen” from the film Baazigar in 1994, “Aye Kash ke hum” from the film “Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na” in the year 1993, and “Jo haal dil ka” from Sarfarosh in 1999.
11. Kavita Krishnamurthy- Kavita Krishnamurthy is a very known Bollywood as well as a classical playback singer who has known for her way and style of singing. She has received and honoured with many such awards to date. One of them includes Filmfare awards and also Padma Shri in the year 2005. Her work has been known very well till today as she is a person who gives quality work to her audience. Kavita Krishnamurthy’s is very versatile in her singing as well as her work and whose vocal range is very broad. Her popular songs include “Humesha Tumko Chaha”, “Sunta Hai Mera Khuda”, “Hawa Hawaii”, “Maiya Yashoda”, “Sunta Hai Mera Khuda”, “Pyaar Hua Chupke Se”, and many other.
12. Usha Uthup- A versatile singer Usha Uthup has sung songs in the various genres such as pop, folk, jazz and Bollywood. She is very known and remarkable for the kinds of songs she makes. Usha had started her career as a playback singer and also besides that she is a stage performer too. Her very renowned voice has always been known among people because it has always been a unique one, people review it as being attractive and fresh for unconventional songs. Her style of singing has made songs very popular and known among her audience. Her superhits include “Hari Om Hari”, “Uri Uri Baba”, “Koi Yahan Aha Nache Nache”, “Ek Do Cha Cha Cha”, etc.
13. Udit Narayan- 90s most renowned singer—Udit Narayan is one of the most acclaimed playback singers’. He began his career in the year 1980 with the movie “Unees Bees”, but the movie which got him recognition was “Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak” in the year 1988. He has also won many Filmfare awards along with the five Filmfare awards and a numerous accolades which include Padma Bhushan in 2016 and 2009—Padma Shri. Few of his great piece of work and remarkable songs include the movie “Sikandar”— “Pehla Nasha” in the year 1992, “Jaadu Teri Nazar” from the film “Darr” in 1993 and “papa kehte hai” from the film “Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak” in the year 1988.
14. Alka Yagnik- Alka Yagnik is one of the most renowned and prominent playback singers of the Bollywood industry. She has won many Filmfare awards including the National film awards. Alka Yagnik began her career as a playback singer in the early 1980s in the film “Payal Ki Jhankar”. Her breakthrough in her career came with the song “Ek Do Teen” from the film “Tezaab” in the year 1988. She has sung round about 20,000 songs to date, of which many have been considered as the most remarkable and memorable songs of the Hindi cinema. Her superhits include “Jaadu Hai” from the movie “Ghulam” in the year 1998, “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” from the film “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” in 1998, “Hum Tum” from “Hum Tum” in 2004 and many others.
15. A.R. Rahman- A.R. Rahman is a renowned singer whereas a fine music composer too. He has been a part of many Bollywood movies as he gave his contribution to singing well in them. The talented all time, A.R. Rahman has also won many awards some including a BAFTA award for his beautiful work in music and also two Grammy Awards for the same. The singer has also been honoured with Padma Bhushan by Government of India in the year 2010. Besides earning these awards Rehman has always won hearts of the people and his audience. His great and talented singing sessions had conquered people all over the world with great faith in him.
So, these were the list of the most talented, versatile and all-time favourite i.e. legendary singers of Bollywood industry, who had made people craze for their songs at all times!